It's seems like no matter what you do, adoption is cloaked in financial issues.
I've been told that perhaps we shouldn't adopt if can't afford it. I know I'm not the only one to be told this. It's a pretty common response, I guess.
When we brought Nathan home, and when we were in the process to adopt, people asked about the money quite a bit. I don't mind being asked, since I don't have anything to hide. But then something clicked in me this week.
I listen to Dave Ramsey a couple of times a week. Not all the time, and usually only if I'm in the car in the afternoon. I love his common sense aproach to money, and his advice has helped us get out of debt.
The reason I mention him, is I heard a call a couple of months ago about adoption. The lady was in a similar financial situation as us, and was looking at a loan to adopt. He told her that he never supports debt. Then this week he told a caller to put off getting out of debt to have a baby. His reason was there is never a "perfect" time to start a family. I agree with him, really. But this is what got me thinking.
When you get pregnant, you have insurance to cover most if not all of the costs. Pregnancy/Labor & Deliver cost a pretty penny. A friend of mine told me that her portion of it all was right up there with our adoption loan.
So why then do people feel the need to look down on adopting parents? Should I go around asking people if they can afford their hospital bills? Should I tell them not to get pregnant because they might need an emergency C-Section & haven't budgeted for that? No, I would never dream of telling people that.
I guess I am tired of feeling like a second class citizen in this parenting world.
2 comments:
So true, isn't it? If I were to get knocked up no one would bat an eye! LOL
Can I "Guest Blog" this on mine? Let me know, friend. I think it is really good stuff. <3 u.
I saw your "guest blog" on Andi-bo-bani's site and just wanted to say "amen" to you!
Jenn @ buildingmommymuscles.blogspot.com
Post a Comment